Halloween is RIGHT around the corner…BUT there is no need to throw away all of your hard work over one night! So I’m gonna give you some tips on how to stay healthy during Halloween!
1. Don’t buy your favorite candy to hand out. You will be more tempted to eat it. I love when my husband buys a candy bar or some junk that I don’t even like because it’s so much easier to say NO to. You aren’t depriving the kids by not getting the best candy… believe me, they will be getting plenty of that!
2. Out of sight, out of mind! There is no need to have your candy bowl laying out until Halloween night. And after Halloween, if you have left overs, send it with your husband to work or donate it to your kid’s teacher to pass out as a treat. Do what you need to do to get it out of the house!
3. Exercise!! If you know you have a party to go to or you know you’re going to be out trick-or-treating, plan ahead to make time to exercise before you get to busy.
4. Find healthy alternatives. Hand out pretzels instead of candy so that it’s not so tempting. Drink your Shakeology to kick your sweet tooth. No bake chocolate peanut butter balls are great for something rich (recipe found here: http://melaniemitro.blogspot.com/2011/10/shakeology-power-balls.html) The chocolate pumpkin granola bars are a great snack idea.(Recipe found here: http://melaniemitro.blogspot.com/2012/09/pumpkin-chocolate-granola-bars.html)
5. Get yourself out of the all or nothing mentality. “Well I already had a candy bar, might as well eat a couple more plus this piece of cake.” NO WAY!!! I’m not saying don’t ever touch sweets or treats, but just because you treated yourself to a piece of candy, doesn’t mean you should keep eating junk for the rest of the day, weekend, or even month until the Holidays are over. Just be sure to get right back on track with your healthy lifestyle after that treat. Candy is literally like crack…the more you have, the more you crave it. Sugar is very addicting, so keep that in mind.
Remember, if you want to change you have to give up a little to gain a lot!!